Cogmed Working Memory Training is a home-based program specifically created for children, adolescents, and adults with working memory and attention deficits. It was designed by professional game developers working with psychologists and medical researchers. The software features a series of tasks to train working memory through sustained mental exercises.
What is Working Memory?
Working Memory can be defined as the ability to actively retain information for a short period of time and be able to use this information in our thinking. Some examples of using working memory are:
- Starting and finishing tasks
- Remembering instructions
- Staying focused
Deficits in working memory are thought to be of central importance for those who struggle with attention deficits (ADD/ADHD). Children and adolescents who have deficits in working memory may experience an inability to concentrate, control their behavior, or complete school assignments. Cogmed Working Memory Training is a comprehensive five-week program designed to measurably improve working memory. Through sustained mental exercises, working memory capacity can be increased. For more information on working memory, visit www.aboutworkingmemory.com.
How does Cogmed Working Memory Training work?
The level of difficulty adjusts according to the performance of the participant. There are now 3 programs available: Cogmed JM Preschool Version, Cogmed RM Child and Adolescent Version, and Cogmed QM Adult Version. Information about the training includes:
- Takes approximately 30-45 minutes a day for RM and QM; 15 minutes a day for JM
- Training is done five days a week over a five to seven week period
- Training is supported by a coach who maintains close contact with the trainee and family
- A fun and rewarding racing game concludes each training session
- Flexible scheduling for busy adults and families
- 100 extension training sessions (about 10-15 minutes each) available at no additional cost once the 25 days of training are completed
What are the results?
Cogmed Working Memory Training is a clinically proven program that provides measurable effects. Eight out of ten who complete the program have shown significant improvement in working memory and attention. Effects have been shown to be long-lasting:
- Improved ability to sustain attention
- Improved impulse control
- Better complex reasoning skills
- Better Academic performance
Parents and teachers report other tangible benefits:
- Improved social skills
- Increased initiative
- Increased ability to complete homework more independently
If you would like to receive more information about Cogmed Working Memory Training, please use our contact form or call 630-325-5300.
Cogmed Working Memory Training is supported by peer-reviewed research studies with scientifically validated results. For more information, please visit their page on research here.
Cogmed Working Memory Training is not intended to be a substitute for a health care provider’s consultation or a substitute for medication that a doctor may have prescribed. Results may vary. Effects or results in the individual can never be guaranteed.